Mind King Bodhisattva delineates the various dwelling places of Bodhisattvas and their retinues.
Manjushri Bodhisattva is at Pure and Cool Mountain proclaiming Dharma to his congregation of ten thousand Bodhisattvas.
When Manjushri Bodhisattva was born, there were ten auspicious signs. Manjushri Bodhisattva was the Teacher of many past Buddhas. Tripitaka Master Hsuan Hua says,
“Manjushri Bodhisattva also guided Ananda in compiling the Sutras at the Iron Ring Mountain. During the reign of Emperor Ming in the Han Dynasty, the two Venerables Kashyapa-Matanga and Gobharana went to China, carrying Sutras on a white horse. Later the White Horse Monastery was built in Loyang in memory of the two monks. Their graves are still extant in Henan Province. China is a place where Sages and common people dwell together. At that time, Emperor Ming asked the two Venerables, ‘Are there any Sages teaching and transforming living beings in China?’ They replied, ‘Manjushri Bodhisattva is teaching and transforming beings at Clear and Cool Mountain in Wutai County, Shanxi Province. After the two monks revealed the presence of Manjushri Bodhisattva, the emperor built a monastery at Wutai Mountain and it became a Buddhist holy site.”
The other dwelling places of Bodhisattvas in China are:
- Universal Worthy Bodhisattva is in Emei Mountain.
- Earth Store Bodhisattva is in Nine Flowers Mountain.
- Gwan Shr Yin Bodhisattva is in Potola Mountain.
These are the four holy mountains in China.
These four Great Bodhisattvas also have Wayplaces in the United States and Canada. They are:
- The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas is the Wayplace of Gwan Shr Yin Bodhisattva, at Talmage, in California.
- Gold Wheel Monastery is the Wayplace of Earth Store Bodhisattva, in Los Angeles.
- Gold Summit Monastery is the Wayplace of Universal Worthy Bodhisattva, in Seattle.
- Gold Buddha Monastery is the Wayplace of Manjushri Bodhisattva, in Vancouver.
Tripitaka Master Hsuan Hua says,
The four Great Bodhisattvas have come to the Western nations to help the Buddha spread the Dharma and teach the people, and to make Buddhism flourish.
Namo Manjushri Great Wisdom Bodhisattva,
© 2000 Soo Hoong Liung. All Rights Reserved.
Namo Universal Worthy Great Conduct Bodhisattva,
Namo Earth Treasury (Store) King Great Vow Bodhisattva,
Namo Gwan Shr Yin Great Compassion Bodhisattva.