The World Honored One ascends to the Tushita Heaven. The Tushita Heavenly King sees the Buddha approaching and immediately creates a jeweled lion throne. Inconceivable adornments manifest.
The Tushita Heavenly King with countless Princes reverently welcome the Buddha. Innumerably many celestial kings from other heavens make obeisance to the World Honored One.
Wondrous spiritual transformation of the Thus Come One delight countless living beings. Elaborate proclamation of the Buddha’s wonderful states.
The Buddha goes to the Tushita Heaven and countless heavenly beings arrive to make obeisance to the World Honored One.
People may bow to a spiritual hero or an image of a Sage for different reasons. Some bow out of fear, some bow out of sincerity, some bow to seek benefits while some bow out of great admiration and respect.
Tripitaka Master Hsuan Hua explained the seven kinds of bowing:
- Arrogant bowing: Although the person appears to be bowing to the Buddha, it is forced because the person does not have a high regard for the Buddha. He has an inflated ego. So, although he appears to be performing a humble act, but in reality he is filled with arrogance.
- Seeking for fame bowing: This person bows in order to receive recognition as a cultivator.
- Bowing with a body and mind concurring: This person is just imitating and following along with what others are doing that’s all.
- Wise and pure bowing: This person uses true wisdom to purify his body and mind. He upholds precepts and recites Sutras and Mantras to purify his three karmas.
- Pervading everywhere throughout the Dharma Realm bowing: This person when bowing contemplates his mind’s nature pervading everywhere and bowing to all Buddhas everywhere.
- Sincerely cultivating proper contemplation bowing: This person uses a concentrated mind when bowing to the Buddha, without striking up false thoughts. He bows with one mind.
- True mark of impartial bowing: This person bows but is not attached to a mark of bowing to the Buddha. No thought is produced or destroyed. Thus, the cultivator can manifest a body that fills up the entire Dharma Realm because he has become one with the Dharma Realm.
The Tushita Heaven is in the Desire Realm. One day in this heaven is four hundred years in the human realm.Tu
© 2000 Soo Hoong Liung. All Rights Reserved.